Monday, March 8, 2010

What about Bob 2: The Magic Bottu

This weekend I went to Vijayawada to visit my dear friend Bob.  All the work he has been doing with the kids through the NGO Sanghamitra Service Society culminated this weekend in a performance of The Magic Bottu.  The story is inspired by the story of Purim, where the new Queen gives the villagers the power to stand up to the evil Prime Minister (booooooooooo!!!- yes, Bob got all the kids in the audience to participate in the boooing!).  

I had an interesting time getting to Vijayawada.  I left on the early morning train, choosing to try out the non-AC second class section.  It was not nearly as bad as I was expecting, but it was HOT!!  I spent most of the 6 hrs at the door of the car, watching the country go by and chatting up other passengers - always answering the same questions about my salary and why I'm traveling by myself.  These new friends (a man and his wife on their way to a friend's wedding) came in handy though as I learned through them that the train tracks were being repaired and we would have to get off at the town before our destination and make our own way to Vijayawada.  I wasn't sure whether I should believe them, although they would have no reason to lie, just that I hadn't heard about this from any of the ticket takers/conductors.  But then again, this is India!

So we got off the train at Tenali (sounds like Denali!!) with plans to take a bus but then found our way onto another train that was headed to Vijayawada (on different tracks maybe?!?).  We squeezed into the general seating car, which is also non-AC but has no reserved seats, so you just find a spot.  I dont think many tourist ride in this section, so I got a lot of points and stares here.  My friends chose to stand and I climbed up onto the non-padded metal top berth where I fell into a deep hot nap and dreamt that my friend Mimi had a daughter!!!  Luckily my friends woke me up when we arrived at Vijay and I had a happy reunion with Bob and his boss, Vani!

Bob has been living the good life over at Vani's house!  He has homecooked food round the clock, a personal driver, and fresh milk and curd daily from the water buffaloes out back.  It seems that Bob is a bit uncomfortable with all the fuss and has been trying, unsuccessfully, to help out around the house.  This was a nice change for me and a welcome one, as I was starting to come down with a bit of a cold.  I spent most of Sunday morning relaxing and practicing my Tamil reading ( வாட்ட சாட்ட யானை... ) and then Vani helped me into a sari.  Again I tried to wear Leah's green sari, and AGAIN I was made to change, this time because Leah's sari wasn't "starchy" enough!

So I was all decked out in a starchy cotton sari and Vani gave me a matching earing/necklace set, complete with bangles to wear.  I think I looked too fancy for a play in the village, but it was fun.  We drove to the school to meet most of the kids.  They looooooooooove Bob!  They love to hug him and touch him and, for some reason, stick out their thumbs and say "Challenge!"  We dont know why they do that last one, but Bob says he always just does it back to them.  However, they quickly lost interest in Bob as soon as they saw me.  They would touch my hair, skin, face, sari and then make an "ok" hand signal and say "sooopar!"  Apparently they approve of my outfit!


After the kids showed me some books and dances and I took their pictures (they always want their pics taken!), we piled into the SUV and drove to the village school where they play was to take place.  It was very hot, and I really wasn't feeling well, but felt bad about not playing with the kids.  I just sat on a chair in the shade while village kids surrounded me and continually asked me "what is your name?" and "how are you?", 2 phrases that everyone seems to know.  While we entertained each other, Bob and the sound crew set up the stage and then rehearsal began.  Amazingly, all the village kids sat quietly and still and watched the rehearsal.  I too had to sit quietly, because if I attempted to walk around or take any pictures, it really drew a lot of attention and I'd have a swarm of kids within minutes!

The sound check/rehearsal turned into a talent show with kids from the school as well as kids from the village participating.  At one point, Bob and I were asked to get on stage and sing a song for everyone.  Like Sanford Cohen, I'm dangerous with a microphone and a captive audience!  Bob sang a song about working in the union while I battled it out in my head whether to full on pay tribute to Bruce or to chicken out with nursery rhymes.  In the end I took the stage and gave them a rendition of "Hail to the Victors" they'll never forget!  Then Bob and I sang "America the Beautiful" as a duet.  

More and more villagers came, including some of the "higher ups", and by the time the play was ready to begin, the audience consisted of around 200 people, 5 goats, and a few water buffalo.  After introductions, the play was conducted, first in Telugu (the local language) then in English.  I was so surprised at how well the kids acted!  Their English was clear and they said all their lines with feelings!

 
The play concluded with the kids singing "we shall overcome" in both languages.  It was very sweet.  Here is a small video I took of the kids singing in Telugu:

                    (to be added soon, once I figure out how!  pls check back!  in the meantime, here's some pics)

After the play we got to go out to dinner at the fancy Quality Inn Hotel buffet (yes, same Quality Inn that they have at home, but it is WAY fancier here!)  Then they took me to the train station.  Again it was great to see Bob and catch up.  We enjoyed making Western referenced jokes and I helped him plan what he was going to eat for his first day back in the US!  In this way, I am jealous that he gets to go home.  What I wouldn't give for a Leo's Greek Salad!!!  But I was happy to get back to my house in Chennai.  Funny thing, when I was telling Bob about something in Chennai I started by saying, "at home..." and then I stopped myself realizing that I just referred to Chennai as my home.  Bob also interrupted one of his own stories to comment on how I was nodding my head; India style.  Yes, it appears I have adopted the head wobble.  Yikes, what have I done here?!

2 comments:

  1. What about your tap dance/arm swing move? Did you do that on stage? That's always a good one if you get the chance again, I think they'd love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too hard to do in a sari!!! then it might turn into a flash show (and you knoooooow how i feel about that!)

    ReplyDelete