Thursday, March 25, 2010

Go Down, Moses...

As Passover is getting closer, and I see all the comments about being home for Pesach on Facebook, I'm starting to get a little sad about being so far away.  Like many Jews, Passover is my favorite holiday, and this will be only my third time away from home.  Originally, I was going to meet up with some of the other AJWS volunteers in Delhi for seder, but my plans have changed.

I was invited on a trip to visit some villages in Madhya Pradesh.  The people going on the trip have a similar travel philosphy to mine; low budget, locally supported, adventure travel.  It's a great chance to see the local side of India in way that I'd like to travel but cannot do on my own because I'm a white American female (I know, I know, poor me) and I dont have the balls to do it!!  I'm very lucky to have come across this opportunity.  My travel mates are Sathish, a friend of Jacob's who I met at Auroville Marathon, and Ganesh, who I haven't met yet!!  We have our train tickets sorted, but dont know exactly where we're going nor where we will be staying.  Needless to say, it will be quite an adventure.  Check out the website they've made to spread the word about this way of traveling.

With my recent mozzie problems, I'm most worried about bugs interrupting my sleep.  Other than that, I'm not too worried.  Also, I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate Passover into my trip.  I'm not planning on keeping K for P, mainly because I think bread of some sort is a major part of meals in the village and I'm certain that no one in Madhya Pradesh has ever heard of matzah!!  But I'm hoping for 0 of 10 plagues and a handfull of Dayenu moments!  

On a completely non-India related note, please take a minute to check out this NPR Tiny Desk Concert of K'naan.  You must listen to all 3 songs.  The last one always brings on the tears!!

Wish me luck on my travels and make sure you set a place for Elijah at your seder, 'cause you never know who may stop by!!!  I'll be back in Chennai Sunday April 4th, unsure of internet access until then.

1 comment:

  1. Marissa was just mentioning that the Efros side of the family will be having a snall sedar. She is sad as she loves seeing all you guys. I'm used to small sedars as sometimes it is just me. It's ok...it is just about doing life the best we can some days. Best of luck on your travels...I love hearing of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete