Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Don't call it a comeback....

...I been here for yeeeaaars. And just like that, I'm back (please pause to read the last blog post first, then this one will make more sense). Perhaps it is too soon to celebrate, but I will anyways. I was dying at work, and people could tell. Not only that, but they DO tell, right to your face! They will say, “you look bad” or more specifically “your face looks bad, what is wrong, is it the heat?” I'm sure my US counterparts will agree, Indians are not subtle in this way. So I left work early so I could assess the power situation at home and make alternate plans for the night, if needed.

I came home to find a small crowd gathered around the hole that was now dug in the street in front of my house, watching men in the trenches sorting out many colored cables/wires. I gave my neighbors the ole one eyebrow up inquisitive look. Would there be power tonight? You guessed it, resounding head wobbles. I went up to my apartment, stopping on the second floor to chit chat with the landlord's son and daughter-in-law. They didn't sleep well last night either. They said this hasnt happened in 10 years, and that the power would be restored within the hour. I couldn't help but doubt both statements

I decided to drag one of my chairs up to the roof and sit in the breeze and read my book. I cant explain howmuch I am into this book, and would like to thank Bob so much for lending it to me (even though Lauren had sent it to me when I lived in Boston). I'm never usually home during this hour (5ish) and the light was looking lovely so I took some photos of my view from the roof. I love the view from my roof, and it makes me love my neighborhood and, in turn, love India.




Around 615pm I decided that I should start thinking of alternative plans. Shell out for a hotel? Shlep all the way out to Jacob and Leahs? Ask Dr. Sathish for the key so I could sleep in the office? I wasn't really up for any of it. But you know how this story ends, the power came back on as I was walking down the stairs from the roof!

I turned on the fan, shut the windows and started repairing my house. Just as I had thought, there were a TON of mosquitoes from leaving the door open the night before. The only good thing about that was that the high concentration made my mosquito bat all the more effective! A mosquito bat looks like a tennis racket, but it is made of wires through which an electric current runs once you press the button. Seth had sent one from India to me and Nate when we lived in Boston. We used to make everyone who visited our house touch it, like an initiation. But this one is more intense, and I would never make anyone touch it. But I did use it to seek my revenge on my biggest/smallest of enemies. I crawled under the counter, I opened the cabinets, I coaxed them out of hiding with my white flesh that they seem to love so much, and then I zapped 'em! I fried so many mosquitoes in that kitchen that it smelled of burnt flesh. It was gross, but intensely satisfying!

Then I cleaned out the fridge and even managed to save most of the food by cooking up a mean chili bean eggplant tomato dinner. Hopefully its ok to eat beans that have been cooked last night and left on the counter for the entire day! Now I will set up my bed, take a shower, read my book and, fingers crossed, have that wonderful sleep I desperately need. Good Night!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Carly...the adventures you survive make the best stories. Thanks for sharing...you are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we know that nothing really gets you down. you always roll with the punches. as it says in the TALMUD, when you have too many beans...make curd!!. what the efros does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures....you always seem to make the best of everything. I have to say, I felt sorry for the mosquitoes....a bit too violent for me. Keep writing....I can't wait for the next posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - I am a friend of your friend - Tom Rutkoski. Tom and I went to grad school together in WI. I have been reading your blog for the last few weeks and simply love it. Since I am Indian who has been in the US for the last 7 or so years, I believe I can appreciate your writing from both the perspective of an Indian, and from that of life in the US. While reading your blog, I frequently find myself smiling and even laughing aloud and then at times feeling extremely nostalgic (even home sick) as I read about your experiences in India. I am blown away by the vivacity of your spirit and your command of the language. Please have a great rest of your trip in India, and I cannot wait for your account of your trip to Kolkata (or did I miss it?). PS: try using odomos, the mosquito repellent - I can vouch for its potency having endured my share of mosquito bites on power outage-nights, growing up in (in Bhilai, Chattisgarh). PPS: the mango season is around the corner, so make full use of the opportunuties that will offer!

    ReplyDelete