Sunday, June 20, 2010

Eat, Eat, Eat

With the release of the Julia Roberts movie, Eat, Pray, Love just around the corner, it seems fitting that I'm here in Ubud (where the Love part of the story takes place).  Here, the book of the same name that is the inspiration for the film is only known as "That Damn Book".  I tried to think of some clever way to title this blog entry accordingly, but I just couldn't seem to fit any Praying or Loving into the post itself- only eating!

What Ubud lacks in street food (I only manged to eat it once, and it was mystery meat on a stick), it makes up for in expat hippie organic bakeries, coffee shops and cafes.  I have been eating salads, pasta, pecan pie, salads (!!), milkshakes, sandwiches, banana pancakes, soups, french fries, cakes, and my new fav thing to eat, gado-gado (steamed green beans, cabbage, bean sprouts, tofu, tempe all smothered in peanut sauce).  It's like we are just passing time until we can eat again.  I love it.  Now, barring Buddy's pizza and coney island tuna greek salads, there's no culinary reason for me to come home!  But I'll still come home, don't worry.

Of note, I did eat suckling pig, which I didn't really enjoy but had to try to finish anyways so as not to be rude.  I ate the meat and the skin and something else quite chewy but drew the line at what I knew was the intestines!  Wait to you see the pics!

I've been making friends left and right.  But the best people I met, and probably why I've been having so much fun for the last few days, are Hayley and Dom, an English couple who are 10 months into their year abroad in Southeast Asia.  Hayley possibly likes to eat more than me (but it's close!) and the most stressful part of our day is deciding where to eat dinner and then what to order.  Egging each other on, we've managed to throw our budgets out the window!  Oh, this is definitely no MakeTheTrip!  They're a lot of fun and they know and love India too, so we have that in common as well. 

I've been watching the World Cup which has been fun since there are so many foreigners here.  That call on the third goal in the US Slovenia game was bullshit and we all know it!  Incidentally, Ubud has it's own football tourney going on as well (where I had the mystery meat on stick) which has caused quite some commotion around town.  I'm looking forward to watching the US Algeria match Stateside on Weds morning!! 

I fly out tonight at 120am- see you soon!!!

PS- Happy Father's Day, Dad!!!  Miss you xoxoxoxox







2 comments:

  1. I hope you keep writing. Adventures in the US might not be as exciting as India...but you tell such a great story it would be a shame to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, is it welcome home, Carly?!

    I haven't kept up as well as I should but Carrie and I are planning a trip to Bali in early August so I just sat down to check to see what you have to say about it. I agree with Caren, you tell a great story.

    Anyway, it is funny you should mention Buddy's pizza! Just last week we took Eliza, Carrie, and Nick back to the Detroit airport but we had time after Eliza left so the rest of us ended up at Buddy's pizza. It was our first. We liked it so much that Paul and I went back the following night.

    I will be interested to hear your future plans. Best of luck.

    jane peterson

    ReplyDelete