Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rectum?! Damn near killed em!

Despite all the bad news about HIV/AIDS in India, there are some bright spots. HIV/AIDS prevalence in the general population and among some high risk groups such as IVDUs and sex workers, is decreasing. However, the prevalence amongst MSM (men who have sex with men) has stayed the same/gotten higher. I asked Dr. Sathish why he thought this was happening, hoping he would shed some light on India's attitude towards homosexuality. However, he thought I was asking why MSMs were a high risk group.

He told me it was because of anal sex. Realizing my questions was misunderstood, I nodded and said,”sure” hoping to just drop it. But then he went into more detail, using hand gestures, nonetheless. Now although I'm a pretty immature person, when it comes to work, I always manage to maintain my professionalism, something that has always impressed my friends' parents (namely Judy Kessler). As my dad (and uncles) will tell you, people seem to tell pharmacists some pretty personal stuff. But Dr. Sathish, completely straight-faced, explaining the mechanics of anal sex while using phrases including, but not limited to, “tight sphincter” was probably the biggest test to my professionalism in recent memory. Thank god I passed and lived to blog about it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. On the plus side, if you could handle that, you can come work with us HIV people at UNC when you get back- explaining to a subject how to prepare for a rectal biopsy will be a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete