Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winner, Winner Chikkan Dinner

Sorry I have not written since arriving!  Not much interesting is going on as I'm only here for orientation. I'm in Lucknow, which is in the North, and it has been unusually cold. weather.com had said it would be high 60s in the day, and 40s at night.  And again I'm decieved!  It has been in the 40s during the day and colder at night. They say it's the coldest it's been in a decade!  Our place has no heat, and the hallways are all open, so when walking from room to cafeteria or room to room, you can see your breath!  We sit in our training sessions hudled on the floor (everyone sits on the floor) under blankets.  I was not prepared for such cold, but luckily have been able to borrow a fleece and a wool shawl. 

I have managed to take one shower, which was quite difficult in the cold.  I have my own bathroom, with hot water, but bucket shower.  This means standing in the freezing bathroom pouring cupfuls of water over my head.  Also, I have to go through an outside private space to get to my bathroom.  Suprisingly, its not too cold for mosquitos, and there are plenty. 


We've been doing a lot of training sessions, some getting pretty intense.  They cover general information about Indian culture, govt, caste system, gender roles as well as volunteer specific things. I almost cried once, when we were all sharing our fears.  It was a bit like group therapy.  My main fear is that I will not be emotionally stable enough to help anyone!  Then yesterday again when talking about common volunteer challenges.  Its beginning to seem a bit overwhelming. Coming here alone to a country I do not know, into a workplace with a different culture and expecting to get something done. I came looking for a challenge, but have I bit off more than I can chew?


In other news, the food has been great.  The enire compound where we are staying is vegetarian.  I'm not sick of Indian food yet and am maybe even getting used to the spice.  Im enjoying learning to eat without silveware, using only my right hand. Sunita, our very motherly Indian representative, says I look like a native Indian eater, which I take as a compliment. Sunita took us into the kitchen and showed us how to set kurd (yogurt) and make paneer (cheese).  It was very easy and I hope I can show you guys when I return.  Also drinking loads of sweet sweet chai.


We went to town the other day on a field trip and did a lot of shopping.  It was nice to have Sunita there to show us the quality stalls and help with bargaining. There is a form of embroidery that is typical of this city called chikkan (pronounced chicken).  I have bought some lovely chikkan kurtas (Indian tops) to wear to work and around town.

We have been eating all our meals at the compoud but last night we got to go out to dinner at a very funny restaurant that looks like a mini golf course!  Driving here is probably the worst I've ever seen, so it was definitely an outing to go out at night. 

Tomorrow morning I'm leaving early early in the morning to go to my placeent in the South.  I feel well adjusted and am going to be sad to leave all the new friends i've made.  I still have yet to meet anyone from my organization where i will be volunteering, and still dont know where I'll be living or what exactly I'll be doing.  But at least it will be warm.


Namaste,

C

ps- I will publish pics from orientation shortly

5 comments:

  1. i have all the confidence in the world that you can accomplish what you want in India. you are a compassionate and determinded girl and mom and i are very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fact that you are aware of your feelings and facing them so directly suggests to me that you will continue to adapt. You are a person with many skills and i look forward to reading more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CARLY! You are IN INDIA! I am so excited to log on and see that you have posted TODAY, all the way on the other side of the world! Quick and possibly silly question - do you have a snail mail address??? Luv, R

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting to hear from you! I'm sure it feels overwhelming now but if you already are eating like a native Indian you'll adapt in no time. I can't wait to see pictures and you better teach me to make paneer when you get home 'cause I love me some saag paneer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I will try not to sound like a parent and I am not going to sound like a shrink...even though all comments were good.

    When you get home...you will have so much to talk about. I hope you are keeping a daily journal. Knowone said this adventure was going to be easy...but if anyone can do it- it's you. Know we are thinking of you...can't wait to see pictures. You can skype us if you can...our name is kramenheymer...Leah gave us that name. Crazy, huh. Love you.....me

    ReplyDelete