Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hi from Chennai

I made it, again!!  Trip here was loooooong (see previous post), so I didn't arrive until late last night.  A driver picked me up and took me to my hotel.  The hotel is nice, AC, TV, hot water, etc, but is very pricey ($50nt!).  I walked around and found some food and then watched movies until I fell asleep.

Today was my first day at work.  In India they work on Saturday, and all I can think of is that song from camp, "ain't gonna work on Saturday!"  But not many people were in the office today because yesterday was a holiday.  ??  Another employee who works in my office lives near my hotel, so he met me at my hotel and we took an auto-rickshaw (auto) to the office.  I met people, we had tea and then I went with the office administrator to find a place to live.  It was  long, hot day (yes, it is now hot), but I did find a place to live!  It's a 2 bed, 2 bath lovely place on 3 floor of a family house.  there is a nice terrace on the roof.  i have my own kitchen.  It will be around <$300/month, including a servant maid (which means cleaning lady, I imagine) who will clean and do my laundry.  It's in a nice neighborhood, about 15 min auto ride from the office, but I can also take the bus which I hope to do.  I am not ready to ride bikes here, but a lot of people do.  One thing at a time.

So I didn't work at all today, or even talk about what I will be doing.  Tomorrow is day off and I'll be moving.  then I hope to secure a cell phone and learn my way around my neighborhood.  Also, they said it is best to send mail to me (PLEASE SEND MAIL!!!!) to the office.  Here is my address;

Ms. Carly
SAATHII
No. 78, Pushpa Nagar Main Rd.
Nungambakkam, Chennai  600 034

Got it?  Send me mail.  Good books (in English) much appreciated.  I will let you know my cell phone number when I get it.  It is free for me to recieve calls, so you guys can buy phone cards and call me all you want!

I have been walking around my hotel neighborhood this evening.  I ate at a street food stand, it was tasty.  I haven't tried lots of foods, mainly staying to ones I know (Masala Dosai).  I'm dressed in normal Indian clothes and have been wearing a bindi (red dot, you know), so I dont stick out too much.  That and my ability to eat properly and follow those cultural rules has been very helpful in not drawing attention to myself.  It's been working out quite well and I feel quite comfortable.

Publishing pics on my little computer has been harder than I expected.  Internet is different here.  I hate to say it, but I think I'm only going to put them on Facebook.  It's just too easy.  So, until I figure out the alternative, they will be there.  soon, I just have to get internet at my house, which i havent' moved into yet.  You must be patient, just like me.

Namaste,
C

2 comments:

  1. damn it. if i have to join facebook b/c of you.....!!!!!
    Happy to hear you are assimilating well and can't wait to see pics of you with your bindi ;o)
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. pics are there, time to join up! or at least use Dave's. miss you!!

    ReplyDelete