Sunday, May 9, 2010

I'm not coming home!!

YET!  I may be done in Chennai, but I'm not done in India!   It is summer here, which means pretty much everywhere is hot (yes, I was wrong, Hottest is NOW!!) and crowded!  In an attempt to avoid all of this, I'm heading towards the "Seven Sister States" in Northeastern India.  There are no major tourist attractions in the Northeast, and therefore, not a lot of toursists!!  But there are beautiful mountains and landscapes to explore and interesting people from many different cultures to meet.  Permits are needed to get to some of the sisters, but not the gals I'm visiting!

Jacob and I are taking a 52 hr train (yikes!) to Guwahati where we will spend a few days bumming around Assam before Jacob heads off to Nepal.  Then I will meet up with my new friend GAPP (from Madhya Pradesh trip) in Shillong (heehee) to go to a crazy music festival.  Get this, Lou Majaw, a serious Bob Dylan fan, pays tribute to Dylan every year on his birthday by performing at an outdoor festival.  GAPP invited me, and seriously, how could I miss the opportunity to see an Indian's take on Bob Dylan?  And in the mountains no less!!  Please listen to this NPR story  for more information.

I will explore the area for a few weeks, take a train (only 16 hrs) to Kolkata to fly back to Chennai, arriving June 4th.  Pick up my stuff and head over to Bangalore for a few days and then I'll be flying to Bali, Indonesia on June 9th.  I fly back to the US from Bali, leaving (and arriving- crazy international dateline!) on June 22.

That's the plan.  Please stay tuned...

ps- you can still send me mail as I'll be stopping by here to pick up on June 5.  Just be sure to send it by May 21st.  and no more packages!  letters and postcards only.    

1 comment:

  1. I am just catching up on some of your blogs. I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences... except that last one when you got so sick. Very glad you are feeling better. Also, happy for you that you will be visiting Bali. I was there in 2005 and am going again in August. Carrie has a conference in Singapore and I am going to tag along then we will vacation in Bali. Great place! Enjoy your remaining time in India.

    ReplyDelete