Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Summer Vacation

When I was sick the other day (I'm better now, thank you for asking), I went to stop by the little stall next to my house to pick up a few things.  I was looking forward to this because A#1) I didn't want to walk all the way to town and B#2) I had learned all sorts of new Tamil things to say including, "I'm sick", "lemons" and "sugar" and the man and wife who run the store are always so happy when I ask for things in Tamil.  But, to my surprise, the shop was shut; I have never seen it shut!  I looked around and noticed that a lot of other shops were shut as well.

I was forced to get my supplies from a different stall, where the man only knows of me because I'm the only white woman who lives in town.  I didn't even tell him I was sick and he wasn't impressed with my Tamil 'cause he hasn't witnessed the progression of my language skills.  He just kept asking if I was from California.  And he didnt have lemons.  I asked where my friends went and he said, "tourist".  I figured this meant they went on vacation.

Taking their cue, and because work for me has slowed down A LOT, I decided to take a vacation of my own and get the Efros outta here!  This late in the game, all the trains out of town are completely booked (everyone is trying to leave 'hotter' Chennai!) but Jacob informed me of a secret tourist trick.  Apparently, if you are a tourist, you can just bypass all the lines and tatkal (a last minute release of train tickets that starts only 48 hrs before the train leaves) and go to this tiny office in the train station to request a train ticket.  I went yesterday before work and it worked!  I got a confirmed seat on a sleeper class train to Kochi and a ticket back home!

So tomorrow night, I'm heading to Kerala.  I've wanted to visit Kerala since college when I first heard about this small communist state with a 91% literacy rate (COMMUNISM!) and I just finished reading The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (recommended) for the second time, which takes place in Kerala, so it's really perfect timing.  I haven't planned a lot, but hope to include a boat trip down the backwaters, which is supposed to be one of those 1000 things to do before you die, and a visit to Jew Town!

Bon Voyage!

1 comment:

  1. The God of Small Things is one of my favorite books, one of the few I've read more than once. Arundhati Roy is a fabulous writer; I would read the words so slowly, like enjoying a fantastic dessert one spoonful at a time. Apparently, the author is a bit controversial in her non-fiction writing, but I've not had the chance to read any of it. Anyway, I am thrilled to find another person who liked the book. A tough story, but a Very Good Read. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete