Thursday, April 22, 2010

Little Bastard

I walked home from the bus stop by a different route today because I needed to get some ice cream (I needed it). I usually only walk that way in the mornings, past the family/families who all wave and salute good morning (Auntie! Auntie!). When the grandma in the family saw me coming, she immediately stopped drinking her coffee and got up off her chair to call me over so I could sit in her chair, and yes, drink her coffee. Being polite, I accepted both offers. All the girl children came out from god knows where to surround me. The old woman doesn't speak any English, but loves to ask me a ton of questions, hoping I some how understand her Tamil. I just shrug, wobble my head and smile and try to guess what she's asking, while simultaneously shaking hands with all the kids. She calls over the eldest of the children/grandchildren, who I learned the other day has just completed the 9th standard (she's probably 14 or 15?), who grudgingly translates into English all the things she's dying say to me.

I learn that she (the old woman) has 2 sisters and 6 brothers, that her husband works at a fancy hotel and then possibly which kids belong to whom. I recognize all the kids except for one little girl. You can tell that they are related by their faces, but all the relations are explained as “sister son” or “bother cousin” etc, so, despite the English translation, I am no better off. It's summer holiday, so the kids are all out of school. Together, we count to 5 in both English and Tamil, which I can do.

There is also a young boy, who I learn will be starting pre-school. I dont know how old he is (I'm horrible at guessing kids' ages, especially Indian kids) but he can walk and talk a little bit. Upon seeing me every morning, he alternates between being terrified and overjoyed, usually the later. Today he seemed rather agitated and kept yelling, at no one in particular as far as I could tell, “Otha! Otha!” Because I have rude friends, I know the meaning of this word. Depending on it's usage, it can mean f**k or f**king or damn, or even bastard, it's kind of an all purpose BAD word. I figure I'm probably hearing wrong, but he keeps saying it and the rest of the kids keep looking at each other and giggling. The old woman gives me an inquisitive look and the older daughter asks if I know what this means. I say, in Tamil, “Ama, theriyum” (yes, I know it) and this causes even more laughter!! I give the kid a disapproving look while clicking my tongue. But, since everyone else seems to be encouraging it, and because let's face it, swearing is fun, the kid keeps at it and I just laugh along with everyone else.

I tell the woman the coffee was good, nalla irrukku, thank her, nandri, and get up to leave. I wave goodbye to everyone and tell them I'll see them again in the morning. Some of the girls walk with me a bit and we do the usual back and forth exchange of waving and “bye”'s until we're nearly at my house. Knowing they will all be waiting for me in the morning seals the deal on my decision to get up a half hour early tomorrow so I can wear a sari to work. I will wear the purple one, in honor of my cousin Stacey's birthday!

1 comment:

  1. sometimes when i read these blogs, i'm broght to tears...don't know why. i'm just so happy you are experiencing this great adventure. that kind of interaction with the people is one of the great joys i find in world travel and one of the reasons we continue to do so. that said...i cant wait to have you home again.
    love you
    dad

    ReplyDelete